The Bridge between European Cultural Centres (BECC) is an ENCC programme dedicated to staff members of cultural centres. It aims to facilitate their international work experience and the acquisition of new competences and skills, which are crucial for providing better services to their community and audiences.
The BECC programme is the ENCC answer to supporting cultural centres' staff, building their capacities to face new professional and social challenges, reinforcing European cooperation and working communities, and reflecting and exchanging in a European and global context.
The BECC Programme aims to
- Share new knowledge and different experiences about current needs at an international level and introduce new ideas, knowledge and collaboration beyond national borders into the participant's daily work upon his/her return from the program.
Between 2008 and 2015, the programme has supported the mobility of 94 participants from 70 different cultural centres in 13 European countries.
- Promote international mobility and life-long learning, and increase awareness of international mobility opportunities for local staff members.
- Support lasting partnerships and cooperation between local cultural centres from different countries and facilitate international solidarity in the field of using arts & culture as a tool for empowerment.
- Enhance sensibility and awareness for different cultures and working methods
The BECC is a capacity building and process-oriented programme that lasts about 8 months. During this period, the following activities are organized:
- BECC Launching seminar
- Exchange period – minimum 10 days
- ENCC Mentoring throughout the BECC project period
This "fire-up" event is organised in a European city and is the first opportunity for all of the participants and mentors to meet. The different seminar formats prepare the participants for a learning journey that lasts at least 8 months: professional development training, workshops, coaching, peer-to-peer learning (P2P), study visits to other networks and local organisations. The ENCC organises the seminar and covers the costs for the participants (travel, accommodation, catering). Participation in the seminar is obligatory for all BECC beneficiaries.
Exchange period – minimum 10 days
The design for the learning experience is developed in cooperation between the sending and hosting organisations and the BECC participant.
The design is focused on a clear needs assessment and gives the opportunity to learn about the chosen subject in action: visiting organisations, meeting stakeholders, taking part in local activities, taking part in evaluations, sharing past experiments.
The hosting organisation facilitates the learning process by tackling the language challenge, providing a local coach, implementing the learning design as agreed prior to the exchange and offering a qualitative learning experience.
The sending organisation facilitates the learning process by organizing a thorough needs assessment, quality cooperation with the hosting organisation and careful preparation of the BECC participant.
The exchange lasts a minimum of 10 days, with no maximum indicated.
ENCC Mentoring throughout the BECC period
ENCC aims at supporting BECC participants in their learning process, from the moment of being selected to participate into the BECC programme up to project evaluation (about 8 months). The ENCC communicates about and invites the BECC participants to capacity building activities and events organised by the ENCC and other organisations. Participants have access to an interactive ressource database on a dedicated website, as well as to a Facebook fanpage.
The evaluation is a very relevant moment as the BECC participants are asked to submit reports to the ENCC and explain the outcomes of his/her experience as well as of the organisations involved.
Practical information for BECC participants and participating organisations
The Agreement between hosting-sending organizations and the ENCC must be delivered to the ENCC office no later than 2 weeks before the beginning of the first exchange.
Hosting and sending organizations are obliged to inform the ENCC office about the the Programme of the exchange no later than 2 weeks before the beginning of the planned exchange. The Programme should be sent to the ENCC office by email: email@example.com.
Both Programme and Agreement should be delivered to the office in electronic form with signatures of representatives of each organization.
A report as well as products* prepared by the sending and hosting organizations & a each participant from a single exchange should be delivered to the ENCC office within the month following the exchange.
* Products are any materials produced in the frame of an exchange, i.e. photos, videos, leaflets, articles, printed materials, blogs, social media products etc.
Call for the BECC programme 2016/2017
- Professionalize young cultural managers (under 35 years old) from cultural centres and cultural spaces, especially from Eastern, South-Eastern and Southern Europe, and neighbouring countries;
- Support innovation and experimentation in the contemporary work of cultural centres when dealing with current concerns and issues i.e: new models for participation, digitalization, territorial development, creative regions, social innovation, data collection, networking, new ways of learning, audience development, creative industries, democracy, migration, support for grassroots-activities, dealing with local politics, tackling diversity, raising the cultural competences of local communities,...
- Integrate a European perspective in cultural centres' strategies.
Participation conditions & obligations
For the staff members
- To be a young staff member (under 35 years old) of a cultural centre (as manager, professional, technician, artist, project coordinator, teacher, trainer, freelancer, trainee, volunteer, etc.);
- To attend the BECC launching seminar organised by the ENCC;
- To be active in the preparation and evaluation of the learning experience;
- To report back about the experience to the ENCC;
- To be active in the hosting of the staff member of the partner organisation.
For the hosting and sending organisations
- To be a member of the ENCC or and organisation actively involved in cooperation with the ENCC;
- To identify a clear need for the learning experience within the organisation;
- To sign an individual agreement with the partner centre before hosting and sending a BECC participant;
- To take responsibility for the preparation and implementation of the exchange: travel, accommodation, coaching, language, involvement, programme etc. and the evaluation of a qualitative learning experience;
- To prepare & support the BECC participants sent and received;
- To report back about the experience to the ENCC;
- To communicate and disseminate the results & outcomes within your network;
- To explore the possibilities of a long-term partnership with the other organisation.
The ENCC offers a financial contribution of 800 € for each exchange, which will be transferred to the hosting or sending organisation (according to individual agreements between the ENCC and sending/hosting organizations) to be used for international and local transport, accommodation, the programme, catering, and other costs of the hosted participant.
Deadline for submitting application: December 31st 2016
Selection results: February 1st 2017
BECC Seminar: March 2017, exact date and place TBC
Period for realisation of an exchange: April 1st to July 30th 2017
Application is submitted by a staff member who applies for her/his participation in the Programme on behalf of the organization. BECC Programme does not foresee approval of applications from individual persons. Sending means hosting which means that organization agrees to send its staff member and to receive a staff member from another European cultural centre.
Please use this Application form that must be submitted by 31st December 2016. We will confirm by e-mail the receipt of your application. There is no need to send application by post.