Still wondering why culture is fundamental in everything we do - from politics to education to cohesion?
We are citizens and organisations who believe that culture is the foundation of European unity. It binds us together and underpins our sense of belonging to the European community;
We believe that culture plays a crucial role in upholding common European values, nourishing mutual understanding among the peoples of Europe and fostering diverse and inclusive societies;
We are artists, policy‐makers, cultural operators, students, researchers and citizens who hold the firm conviction that culture is a pillar of sustainable societies;
We aspire to put culture at the heart of public debate and decision‐making. Culture and the arts are deeply embedded in society and affect a range of policy fields. Robust evidence exists on the positive impact of culture on health and well‐being, social cohesion and equality, education, promotion of democratic principles, external relations, alongside with growth and jobs, research and innovation.
Culture, as the foundation of European unity and key to future prosperity, needs a proper financial commitment to ensure the sustainability of the European project.
National governments and EU policymakers are currently taking decisions on the post 2020 EU budget that will influence the next phase of support to culture. We call on the European Institutions and Member States to recognise the EU added value of cultural investment and translate it to sufficient support in the next EU budget.
- Ensure that 1% of the budget of each EU policy field is allocated to culture
- Double the budget for culture
A shared European future is only possible with substantial and sustainable funding for culture both across policy fields and in the framework of a specific cultural programme.
We affirm that a fully democratic European Union is a cultural project. In view of polarising trends in Europe, we must strengthen the European community and respect its diversity!
Support our campaign, sign the manifesto and spread the word!
1. Culture Action Europe (CAE) is the first port of call for informed opinion and debate about arts and cultural policy in Europe. CAE is the biggest umbrella organisation and the only network representing all cultural sub‐sectors. CAE represents 80.000 voices of the cultural sector through its 145 members within Europe.
2. The 2017 Eurobarometer shows an increasing weight of culture in citizens’ perception of belonging to a European community. Indeed, culture is considered as the most important contributing factor, followed by values and history.
3. Robust evidence exists on the positive impact of culture across a range of EU policy fields, as shown by Culture Action Europe’s impact review “The Value and Values of Culture”.
4. This campaign aims to influence the next Multiannul Financial Framework (MFF) that takes effect after 2020 and shapes the annual budgets of the EU, covering typically 7 years.
Several EU Institutions are involved in the preparation and negotiation processes of the MFF. The proposal for the MFF regulation is drafted by the European Commission. The European Council adopts the MFF regulation by a unanimous vote, after having obtained the consent of the European Parliament.
CAE Manifesto GERMAN
CAE Manifesto ROMANIAN
CAE Manifesto SPANISH
CAE Manifesto CATALAN
CAE Manifesto PORTUGUESE
CAE Manifesto ESTONIAN
CAE Manifesto SWEDISH