Bitamine Faktoria is a cross-border cultural production and creation factory based in the Basque Country.
Founded in 2011 by the Artitadetó Artists Association, Bitamine Faktoria aims at promoting and internationalising culture, design and contemporary art on its local territory overlapping Spain and France. The Factory gathers a diverse groups of artists and designers who come together to propose cultural projects and support programs for creation and innovation. Through their activities, they strengthen the artistic and cultural field and support their community of citizens and artists. Public space is their field of action. Their fundamental working tools are mediation, participation, collective memory and co-creation.
Cooperation is the essence of their daily work when implementing activities with partners in Spain, France and South America. They think and act from a gender perspective and seek to ensure sustainability in the use of resources. Some examples of their activities:
- TRANSBITA (audience development - public space) - A mobile device to access an interdisciplinary and participatory cultural offer [more information]
- KONTENPORANEA (empowerment - participation - public space) - An art gathering created by and for the local art community [more information]
- BARRIO CREATIVO (participation - democratization) - Art used as a tool for social cohesion within a neighbourhood [2018 edition / 2019 edition]
- KBK (cross-border - participation - territory) - An editorial project that draws on themes of frontiers and cross-border "cultural smugglers" [more information]
- A TOWN THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY (participation - public space) - This project seeks to alter the urban space through contemporary art interventions. [2018 edition / 2019 edition]
Why did they join the ENCC?
Our mission is in line with the objectives of the ENCC, mainly regarding the importance of promoting cooperation and collaborative research among cultural and creative organisations across Europe.
We're hoping that ENCC membership will stimulate our learning and education processes. Operating within the network will allow us to connect with agents from other backgrounds, sharing experiences and good practices, and eventually to carry out projects together with other structures similar to us.