The Cultural Center of Thingeyjarsyslur District is owned by six municipalities in Thingeyjarsyslur County in North-East Iceland.
The Cultural Center has many departments:
- two local folk museums,
- district archives,
- district photo collection,
- district natural museum
It is also responsible for publishing the county's yearbook (articles and historical information).
The Cultural Center has its offices in Safnahúsið in Húsavík (a village of 2,200 people in North-East Iceland). In Safnahúsið there are two main exhibitions: "Daily life and nature, 100 years in Þingeyjarsýsla (county)" and the Maritime museum. There is one gallery, also used for concerts and lectures. The local library is in the building, but runs separately.
The Cultural Center has three other small museums that are open during the tourist season, but also used for lectures, concerts and other happenings:
- Sauðaneshús in Langanes (peninsula 170 km from Húsavík),
- Snartarstaðir (in a small village with 120 people, 100 km from Húsavík) and
- Grenjaðarstaður (a turf house 30 km from Húsavík).
- To collect, document, conservate and exhibit objects, photos, documents and art, representing the environment, lives, work and creativity of the people in the area. All those having historical and/or cultural meaning for the area;
- To support conservation and research on cultural remains in the area;
- To attempt to increase interest for the history and characteristics of the area;
- To support and strengthen all kinds of cultural activities in the area;
- To support and strengthen other museums and exhibitions in the area with special knowledge and other resources present at the Cultural Center at any time.